View Single Post
Old 9th March 2012, 02:30 PM   #272
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I have zero interest in getting into the "dance sword" debate, I've expressed my opinions throughout this thread I think pretty clearly.

But I did want to add this example to the thread for posterity, as it's now no longer for sale (note: I am not the buyer)

http://www.ashokaarts.com/shop/rare-...-kattara-sword

It's an old saif with a European blade, note the ricasso.

Salaams Iain, It amazes me that the ashok website continues to ignore the raft of information provided on this forum about the Old Omani Battle Sword. The shape of the pommel is related to ancient archways in the Abbasid dynasty and Islamic helmets also reflect this design down the ages. The pointed pommel often has the same number of geometric sides as the hilt... either 6, 8 or even one in my collection has 9.

However, I describe the pictured item as an "Old Omani Battle Sword" hilt fitted with a European (probably German blade) between the 17th and 19th Century. The fitting is crudely fastened with two rivvets at the cuff through the blade and I assume the tang is modified etc. Odd blade marks of a possible European nature and the tell tale non sharp parts of the blade in front of the cuff at the throat (ricasso) typical of many European blades so that the "half sword" tactic could be employed and for speed and control. ~Perhaps this blade was one destined originally for Ethiopia and later hybridised. Nevertheless it is an interesting switch over but is not original (nor, to be fair, does it state that) though it is as an example of a rehilted European blade (German Solingen?) on an Omani Old Battle Sword Hilt...It is, I suggest, a viable weapon on an Old Omani hilt and not done for the tourist market unlike changes carried out on later swords.

Thank you for the clear reference and pictures.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 9th March 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote