Thread: My first jezail
View Single Post
Old 11th August 2010, 10:39 PM   #18
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGAC
Aha - I did wonder when Jim would smell interesting local markings Like leading a mouse to cheese... and once more I learn. I'd no idea these were referred to as "balemarks" for a start, let alone that this enormous, engraved "4" was something more sophisticated than a local artisan's attempt to replace something he couldn't copy - I really rather feel I've unjustly maligned him, long dead though he is, and it just goes to show the danger of letting preconceptions run away with you. This is especially poor, on my part, since he obviously made the rather elegant border around the periphery of the lockplate as well.

Now, as to the age of the lock, it does rather set the mind wondering, but here we come up against another question: although this duplicates a style of lockplate decoration seen in the mid-to-late 18th Century, at what point did the Khyber gunsmiths acquire the skill of making the flintlock? In fact, another question must be asked: am I wrong in thinking that the reason many jezails made during the 18th and 19th Centuries used a captured British flintlock was that its mechanical complexity (or some other aspect of the design) taxed local gunsmiths beyond their means, for some time?

My my, mystery upon mystery...

Thanks for the suggestion, Atlantia - I can probably acquire some wire cheaply enough, but you mention using a torch to guide it. I'd be most interested to find a torch that would allow me to see all the way down the barrel of my gun, since I'm presently finding it impossible with an ordinary hand torch, but don't know what exists for this purpose; some sort of fibre-optic bore light perhaps. Do enlighten me as to what I might be able to get in this field

LOL, hmmm yeah it is problematic.... prehaps a single LED on a wire?
Actually, thinking about it, have you tried getting a thick steel coathanger and straightening it out and bending a tiny hook (like 5mm) on the end, then attaching it to a rod for length and seeing if you can hook it round the obstruction and pull it out?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote