View Single Post
Old 5th October 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
rickystl

Hello 'Nando and Michael!!!

'Nanado: Thanks so much for your reply. At first glance I too thought this was a 1752/57 Model, but with a "dragoon type" middle barrel band??
Good of you to notice the rear sling swivel being located on the triggerguard vs the butt stock like the 1757. I believe the first half of the 18th Century the Spanish closely followed the French design of firearms. And, that middle barrel band reminds me of a 1760's French Carbine. Even though the barrel band springs are missing, the owner says you can tell the barrel bands are original to the gun. He has promised to send me better pictures, especially of the entire gun. The one very interesting item is the iron vs brass mounts.
Maybe this was a transition piece? Since the lock is styled like the 1730-50 French lock, I do believe this is a pre-1750 piece.
Just today, I found a book for sale on Amazon which I purchased titled: Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America, 1700-1821. I should receive it in the next 10 days or less. Maybe this will shed some light?
Michael: By the way, I dis-assembled my Nurenburg Flask per your request and posted pictures under the "Powder Flask I.D.". Thank you both!! Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote