View Single Post
Old 20th December 2018, 10:44 AM   #27
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montagnard
At first, I thought it would be a typical tourist dagger...
But now I think it might be an original?
From the pics above I would say that it fits to the Damaskus style, see the three stars on the blade. Anybody out there who can help in translating/explaning the engraving?
Any comments regarding its origin, inscription and age would be highly welcome
BR,
Montagnard
Hi,
First this tourist stories are nonsense, many forum members are talking about that but most of the weapons here are for tourists, the question is more are they old and are they produced manually / traditionally? Did they have been used by locals too?
You can put in this "bag" most of the Indian and Persian weapons from the end of the 19th and early 20th c.
Your dagger is a Syrian Magdali or Majdali, probably 1930-40, during the French mandate. Did the Syrians or Druze in fact (for this area) used this dagger? the answser is yes, did they sell souvenirs to the French and the first tourists? the answser is yes.
So be carreful on this forum, you will see members with very strong ideas and opinions, but they are just opinions, this statment includes myself.
Your dagger is engraved instead of the classic acid etching and the hilt is decorated only on one face that is a very good sign.
I don't know for the inscription sometimes it's just written "souvenir de Syrie", it's not a joke...
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote