View Single Post
Old 13th August 2018, 12:44 AM   #1
snaplock

Default breechloading systems

Hi, I guess I should introduce myself since I'm a new member. I am a 23 year old gunsmith, knifesmith, and blacksmith. I live in the mountains of north Idaho. I mainly build knives for a living at the moment, mainly patterned after the knives made and used in frontier America during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. I use as close to period correct tools and methods as possible in my work whether for knives or guns. I have a big interest in building and using authentic blackpowder guns especially early and primitive flintlocks. I also am especially interested in flintlock, matchlock, etc. breechloaders. I have got a ton of info from these threads.

I was hoping to find info and pictures of early breechloading guns. I have looked through the "breech loading 1450-1550" thread here and it has a lot of info. However I was hoping I could get more info on the breechloading haquebut posted by Spiridonov on page 2 and guns with similar breechloading systems. At first glance I thought it was one of the guns that used either a pin or wedge through the barrel and chamber to hold a preloaded chamber in the breech. However it looks to me like the slot through the barrel is much to large. Now I'm wondering if it had more or less a sliding breech block like a sideways Sharps falling block.

If you guys have any more info and or pictures of these and any other matchlock through flintlock breechloading systems that would be great.

Thanks so much!
snaplock is offline   Reply With Quote