View Single Post
Old 20th February 2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Shukran jazilan ya Ustad !
Salaams Jim Once again thank you for your superb supporting research on these Arabian swords. I hope you were able to see the other Solingen blade which I thought said 1708 but which was inverted and actually reads SOLI followed by the very faint letters NGEN
The German blades for the Ethiopian market are indeed strange and we have examined them before... mine is almost the same as the one in the souk except with a Saudi / Mamluke hilt probably fitted up in the Yemen. Muscat has now also been identified (certainly in at least the last two generations) as being a centre for joining blade and hilt of different provenanced swords... especially long hilt Omani to any blade that looks reasonable... and the weld work and tang+pommel add on is there to be seen..and was confirmed as done by that shops workshop.

Your work is a great example ... I learn more from your input that from any library! What is a beacon for research is the way you set out your position with quotes from the best references and real in depth study combined with great common sense and reasoning. I hope it inspires more forum researchers to follow suit.

I wonder what influence there is in the Red Sea regions from the French in Egypt and the use of blades originally copied by them from the Polish Hussars?

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Salaams all. Note to Forum. Kindly see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...gypt_and_Syria for a comprehensive study of Napoleon Bonaparte in Egypt and adjoining countries. With 15000 dead from battles and the same number from plague I wonder what quantities of swords etc were ingested by the region and where they were chanelled. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote