View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 08:18 AM   #17
DAHenkel

To briefly interrupt the thread of the conversation, I wanted to address the question of the origin of the keris which are a part of the conversation. Both, I feel, come from the area of Sumatra known to the Minangkabau as the "Pasisiah", that is, the intermediary region to the east of the highland core of Minangkabau territory. This is a fascinating hinterland area made up of large parts of what are today Jambi and mainland Riau (traditionally ruled from Siak (Indrapura). The area is a patchwork of Minangkabau, Malay and Bugis origin communities and the keris which come from this area show the complex interplay of influences from all three communities. It is almost impossible to say much of anything specific about the pieces beyond that. Jean's piece is more distinctly Minangkabau in that it mirrors the styles of the heartlands (Agam, Batu Sangkar, Solok etc.) and Henri's is more Malay/Bugis (which by the time these keris were made were largely indistinguishable). A great deal of further research needs to be done on this region before anything distinct can be said about their keris. However, to get a better sense of the immense complexity of the area and of Sumatra in general I'd recommend a couple of interesting reads...one is To Live as Brothers by Barbara Watson Andaya and the other is Leaves of the Same Tree by her husband, Leonard Andaya. Neither says anything about keris but they both give a great sense of the extraordinary interplay of cultures and communities within the region.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote