View Single Post
Old 17th July 2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Yup, wooden pegs are not uncommon to fix the crosspiece to the stem (also seen in other keris as Rick noted). These were most likely original and already present before the fatal break as shown by the less severly affected side.
Thanks, I will copy-paste this in my brain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I do have mixed feelings regarding restoring this piece. If the old repair can be shown to be non-genuine, I could well imagine removing all the rattan and fiber, patching the crosspiece and covering all up with a nice band of silver (and also adding another at the foot of the scabbard and possibly a ferrule). If not, I'd prefer to keep it as it is now (except for a silver band at the foot of the scabbard) rather than trying to cover any of the break as well as repair work...

Ofcourse you are right. If this restoration appears not to be moro work, I would considering patching and make a band around the patch and also just above the thicker scabbardtip.
Therefore my post, I try to figure out if this could be moro or the work of some kind of hobbyist..
After discussing this here with you guys, it would probably be an easier decission for me to make!

About the silverwork....Just below the cacatua pommel there is a "copper" plate as decoration, which has old patina. I guess this material could be used as ferrule instead of silver??

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote