View Single Post
Old 20th January 2012, 09:40 AM   #13
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
I think this spear is comming from Sahara. Old Tuareg spear ("lower casts" - e.g. like Imrhads - were forbidden to have all-iron allarhs). There is some descripiton I think in the book "Targi" by Vavra (unfortunately only in the Czech language and no pictures) from thirties. But this spear is older, I guess 19th century.

This shape of the spearhead evokes some simmilar shapes from what is curently Sudan, from Congo and even a little from Madagascar. Nevertheless I am nearly convinced this one is some Tuareg cast (I do not mean horizontal division to confederations, but let us say vertical to supperior and subaltern tribes...).

(As far as Zanzibar suggestion: Except of what introduced Omani Arabs there, like various types of "zanzibar handeled" sabres and swords and kataras and other arabic weapons, there is a very small collection of the weapons in the museum in Stone-town, especially I would say comming from eastern Congo, which, very probably vere brought to Zanzibar during Tippu Tippīs slaverīs raids.)

Regards
Martin
Well thank you Martin, this one is proving to be quite interesting ...
Richmond
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote