View Single Post
Old 15th June 2018, 02:31 AM   #22
Battara
EAAF Staff

A few things:

1. Thank you Fernando - very helpful.

2. I agree with Ron in that many of these knives were made by non-Ilokanos. In fact, although each group makes various types of knives (especially for different uses) I question what almost looks to me that the Ilokanos made all of these knives on the forum described as Ilokano. Ian and I have wondered about the cross fertilization of aspects of the different groups, Ilokano to Tagalog and visa versa, etc.

3. Ron I think you are on to something regarding horn (especially albino carabao horn) changing look as it ages. Mine seem to. And I will also add that I have a Katipunero scabbard that has shrunk to where I can't get the blade fulling inside. On the other hand, I have another piece of the Katipunero era with a scabbard in near perfect condition without shrinkage. Storage conditions do matter to an extent.

4. It is very likely that aluminum was used more during and after WWII. However, I wonder then if the quality and style of hilt might be an additional and better determination of age rather than just the use of the aluminum alone.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote