View Single Post
Old 6th February 2016, 09:14 PM   #5
stenoyab

Thanks for the kind comments,

It was certainly new made like this, not modified.

The top side plate in the photo below is original, the other three plates I made to match the cutouts in the stock. Trying to tone the new steel down takes some time.

Whats also very interesting is the pattern on the barrel is etched, while very worn/pitted along the top of the barrel, the half of the barrel in the stock came out looking like its new, showing the barrel was always in the bright. They clearly etched the barrel in the round and then put the best half facing up.

The matchlock is only partially back together, I'm having lots of trouble trying to find a suitable material to replace the rawhide bindings. But will try to take a photo tomorrow.

The trigger is a hard call, I could have made one in typical style for a matchlock, but I'd really be guessing, so in the end decided to leave it as it came to me, I've not altered or repaired any of the original parts. In the end I just felt it was right to get it back together with all the original parts I have so it survives for future generations.
Attached Images

stenoyab is offline   Reply With Quote