View Single Post
Old 4th March 2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Bjorn

I went through some Dutch sources on Schuurman and the gifting of the rhinoceros to Dewa Agung, at the dewa's request.

But why did Dewa Agung want a rhinoceros? Why not some other animal? None of the sources mentioned anything about what a rhino might have meant to the Balinese of that era. Some did suggest that Dewa Agung specifically requested the rhino for the purpose of it being used in an important religious ceremony - but again, why did he want a rhino specifically?

The only link I've been able to find between Hinduism and a rhinoceros is that it is one of the mounts of Agni (God of fire). There is a relief in Angkor Wat showing Agni in a chariot that is pulled by a rhinoceros (http://www.art-and-archaeology.com/s...iefs/br20.html). Of course, Bali has its own flavour of Hinduism and the above may thus be completely irrelevant; and the use of a rhino as a god's mount may be unique to Cambodia. But perhaps it is possible - that as the rhinoceros was used in a cremation ceremony - that there is a link between fire (cremation), Agni and the rhinoceros?

And even if this is the case, I still don't see how the symbolism behind the rhino and lion on the gandik of a keris.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote