Old 2nd January 2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by simatua
Very nice indeed mans,
I only have my doubt about the aging; looks more recent work to me
nevertheless beautifull
Thanks guys.
Here the link of this keris (http://keris.fotopic.net/c811024.html)
If we look overall of this keris, we will know the kind of the iron, Pasikutan (characteristic and style of the shape) and the pamorwork. Then, we can estimated when (period) this keris made. (hard for me to explain in English but I'll try)

1st, the pamor not just patched like the sticker, but made by forging. Different with the vertical pamor on the common new keris which made by patched and blazed, then forged just for a moment. Also the pamor usually has more than just one color. It came because of the forging process and the materials which used. (Ex.: 1st pic is an old pamor, pic# 2nd & 3rd is a new made.
It same with the pattern on the swords which demostrated at the begining. I'm sure that all of those nice iron swords are old made by forging process from more than one iron types.

2nd, the iron has the smooth fibrous. Shown that this keris made by forging process. Different with the the iron on common new keris which has no fibrous (although some new keris still use iron forging -- not just at pamor).
The new keris shown that the iron just smooth, or some of pieces has smooth and very little spots because processed by chemical. Often, many the old keris has the spots at the iron because not well taken care or chemistry process and warangan... but, we still can distiguishing from Pasikutan and style of pamorwork to make it more sure.
(Ex. : pics # 4th & 5th is a new iron, pic# 6th is an old iron).

At Jawa it self, very difficult to get the vertical pamor on the old keris which still intact and very smooth. If we got it, usually came from Mataram Sultan Agung (1600's) until Mataram Surokarto (1700's - 1800's), or from old Madura keris (Mataram era).

Well... I hope my explanations didn't make you more confused and dizzy because of my English
Attached Images

Last edited by Mans; 2nd January 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote