View Single Post
Old 26th June 2016, 06:09 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

One thing about studying weapons, especially discussing them, is that in many cases views and perceptions can be revised as other data or observations will offer new and often better insights into the examination.

In the case of this blade, my initial observations suggested it may well be European, as it was without the familiar 'dukari' (moons) at terminus of outside grooves. The grooves did seem remarkably uniform, however, Iain, who has profoundly astute experience with these African blades, observes there are certain characteristics suggesting this may indeed be native made.

I think the regional attribution remains correct, as there is an overall and distinct similarity to the sabers of Mali, and the Manding people. I would note (as in my post #4) that there has been a long standing connection of course with Omani traders whose influences permeated these trade routes across the Sahara from the East African regions as far as Zanzibar.

In my view, these blockish pommels and the wrap rather than carved 'baluster' type handles are distinct indicators of such influence.
Are these not very much like those on Omani 'kattara' ?

The top image is of 'kattaras'
Second of a Manding sabre with European sabre blade
Third of course, native blade WITH the dukari

Again, these triple fuller blades occurred often on Sierra Leone swords used purportedly by slave traders with cylindrical hilts, these of course had no dukari and origin of blades unclear .
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 26th June 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote