View Single Post
Old 30th April 2019, 04:28 PM   #7
kronckew

Sword has arrived! In excellent condiftion. Grip is tight & undamaged, leather has some light wear, tho a few dings & minor dents to the metal fittings & it has apparently been polished. I say Apperently as there is NO sign of any polishing agent anywhere, having looked at it the yellow metal guard,bolster, pommel, wire wrap and the chain look more like they are gilt or gold plated. Not a speck of brass oxidation or verdegris in any crevass, the engraving lines do have some blackening in them, likely dirt.

Blade polished, no rust, some minor pitting ands patinated areas. Balde is 24.25 In. long, 0.25 in. thick at the guard, distal tapered to the slightly rounded point. False edge spine from end of fuller to the tip, the 'false' becomes real about halfway - almost cut myself on it. Main edge has a few nicks and needs sharpening. Oval x-section gtrip is 4.25 in. from guard to pommel.

Blade has a running fox both sides, one side further forward than the other. weight 459 grams (just over a pound).

One side has the fox sort of from the chest down, the other has it chest up. Put them together and it definitely looks like a proper Harvey, Birmingham running fox, not a solingen wolf punched with a chisel tip. If there were any initials,they have been polished away.

This is definitely in my Favourites list, near the top!

The 'Other' half of the fox:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 30th April 2019 at 08:25 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote