View Single Post
Old 4th April 2019, 05:02 PM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_udGcKMhbtc

As painted from Huj

For Jim: American charge in Afghanistan, no swords, M4 carbines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9uK6x5HgA

Thank you so much Wayne! I really enjoyed the movie "12 Strong" and this is great insight into the true events.
As I have mentioned before of course, I have always had special interests in Afghanistan. In my very young years (loooooong ago) I was intrigued by the Bengal Lancers; Gunga Din and 'King of the Khyber Rifles'....pretty much anything 'Khyber'.

Years later I was fortunate to interview Brig. Francis Ingall (author of his autobiography, "Last of the Bengal Lancers". In this he described his 'last; mounted charge in the plains near the famed Pass.
It was most interesting to me as these studies of Afghanistan became much more dynamic as my son in law; then my son; then my grandson....all served in Afghanistan.

In looking into these many 'charge' events (and thank all of you guys for these great examples and art work), one book which is fascinating on the topic is "Charge to Glory", James D.Lunt, 1960.
As can be imagined there are many 'last charges' in many campaigns in the 20th century, and regardless of whatever qualification or revisionism which evolves in studying them......the courage and panache of these horsemen cannot be discounted.

While in reality horses were often actually used as 'work' animals, and 'charges' were not typically the raging 'hell for leather' events often embellished and portrayed by writers and artists, the true elements of courage and tenacity stand profoundly.

Bryce I was not aware of this charge nor the painting by Lady Butler, who is most well known for her painting "Scotland Forever" immortalizing the charge of the Royal Scots Greys at Waterloo. The actual 'charge' of course was quite different than the portrayal, but was painted over six decades later, but beautifully elicits the emotion and dynamics of the event.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote