View Single Post
Old 24th February 2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This really is a great discussion on these early forms of sabre from these periods and regions. I have seen the 'Charlemagne' sword illustrated and discussed many times, and it had always seemed singular to me until I began seeing examples similar such as those shown here. Like so many other swords in museums with such distinguished attributions, it seems quite lavishly 'dressed' suggesting considerable 'maintainance and care' over the years.

I have always been intrigued by the blade collar as well, whether the 'habaki' (Japanese) or 'tunkou' (Chinese) and how they must have been intended from a practical sense. They seem to be consistant of course on the varying sabre types of the steppes, and I always wondered about the more decorative use of these on yataghans and the association. Once again it is interesting to see the vestigial applications of certain sword elements that no longer serve in thier intended use, but are there just the same......kinda like the portholes from the old Buicks placed stylistically on newer models.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote