View Single Post
Old 28th May 2019, 11:40 PM   #234
Bob A

Jim, neither of the two katars in the post responding to a request for pics of my katar are jamdhal kataris, nor did either of them come through Artzi.

I thought I might as well illustrate both of the katars I have at present, since the scalloped one is unusual and attractive, and I bethought myself that it would be of some interest to folk here.

My jamdhal katari came from Artzi recently, and is illustrated in my earlier post on the topic.

I understand the confusion which currently reigns supreme on the topic, and the emotions which sometimes are inspired by the Name Game; this is of little interest to me just now. My interest is driven by the nature of the jamhhal katari and its reason for being.

My current understanding is that it hails from Kafiristan, or Nuristan, or whatever the region might be called, which refuted my earlier speculation regarding a more southerly origin, which appears to be erroneous.

I took the liberty of mentioning chillanum, due to the nature of the hilts having passing similarity. Again, following the lead of the OP in indulging in speculation which might strike a spark, perhaps leading to some insight. Or it might just be a passing derailment of our trains of thought.

I'm further interested, viewing examples early and late, in the gradual evolution of the hilt design, and questioning whether these changes represent evolution or devolution of design as a function of utility. Seem to me, based merely on appearance of later examples, that the earlier ones would be more utilitarian, while still being more elegantly rendered than the later examples.

If there is interest, I'd gladly post up more pics of my jamdhal katari (so called) to illustrate the nature of the hilt. While photos are available on Artzi's site, I continue to be charmed by the various treatments seen in the hilt - which seems to be hollow, which contributes to its remarkable (lack of) mass.

If I have contributed more than my share of confusion to the subject, I either apologise or accept credit for extending the breadth of the dialogue, whichever might be found appropriate.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote