View Single Post
Old 11th May 2006, 06:15 PM   #1
D Wilke

Default Swords of Jolo, Sulu 1

Ma Uno Uno Na Kaw! My friends
My apologies for my extended absence from the forum. But be assured that I have not been idle in the realm of learning and sharing what you all have taught me about history, culture and of course swords. What follows will be installments of photos and descriptions of the best of the kalis and barong that I have run across during the last 5 months on Jolo, Sulu. I've shared what I know and created several new enthuasiats in the process, many of them Tausug. Many have picked up nice pieces that we will share. I can only hope that what Ian, Frederico and the rest of you have taught me has stood me in good stead and the advice I have given others will be echoed in your comments. As always don't hold back. This first piece, is the first genuine piece that my Blade Hunter, Ali-pala Jamala, brokered for me after two months of trash and a lot of lessons.
I have a line waiting to post their kalis for comment. They're new to swords and hungry for every scrap of information you can give them regarding their new acquisitions.

BTW, the internet is real iffy here and the competion for the few computers we have is fierce. We'll post and answer as we get the chance and the power cooperates.

This first piece I consider my "find", iron and nickel, original scabbard with buffalo horn cap on the bottom which I had rewrapped by the local craftsmen, handle is also buffalo horn and mother pearl (not original) and the blade cleaned using the traditional process which I'll go into later.

Somebody help me out with the luuk count, no matter which way I count them I come up with 8?

Enjoy
Dan
Attached Images

D Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote