View Single Post
Old 13th September 2016, 11:55 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While this fascinating topic has pretty much run its course with the determination that the Cork example may not be authentic, it does bring up interesting details about these rather esoteric weapons.

The use of Royal Mail coaches with blunderbuss armed guards was proposed about 1784 by John Palmer. Only the guards were permitted to be armed, and often had a brace of pistols as well as these type blunderbusses. According to some sources, a highwayman attempted robbery of one of these coaches and was killed, with no further instances of same recorded, as far as is known.
These blunderbuss guns had become popular among civilians during the English Civil War (1642-48) and though sometimes used by troops, they typically were outside the regular military protocols so usually not stamped with acceptance or other government markings.

By the latter 18th century, these guns and pistols for the prestigious Royal Mail coaches were typically well made and by makers intent on good showing with their products. One of the most commonly known makers were the Mortimers.
On these examples, the typical phrase was
FOR HIS MAJESTIES MAIL COACHES
This was around the end of the barrel and there was usually an asterisk amidst the wording.
These words on both blunderbuss and pistols.

The 'coach' guns continued in use well into 19th c about c 1840s
Found no data on names such as 'Cork' or 'York' mail. Mail routes were usually numbered with three numbers (i.e. 209, one of the only routes 'named' as 'Quicksilver') so does not seem such mkgs on barrel
would be usual.

On some other makers, particularly Ketland & Co. the words:
HAPPY IS HE THAT ESCAPETH ME
The same on one by Joseph Sanders c. 1778-1788
Top of barrel: SANDERSBOROUGH LONDON

Some apparently had R.P. (=Royal Post) near trigger guard

I could not find evidence of any FLY OR DIE phrase nor any reference to it.

Other blunderbuss myths:
* the pilgrims did not have blunderbusses, they were far from well known and they had mostly matchlocks and wheellocks,
* the notion of loading detritus such as nails, glass etc. into the barrel
was not good.....these could jam and explode the gun.

The flared barrel on blunderbusses was not to spread shot etc. but for quick and easier loading , i.e. in bounding coach .

It would be great to see some examples of these 'coach guns'

It seems like there was an article on these in "Man at Arms" magazine, but cannot recall issue.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote