View Single Post
Old 28th April 2019, 08:08 PM   #3
rickystl

Now to post photos of the finished gun ready to join the collection....

The original auction description listed this pistol as Moroccan (which it could be). But from the beginning, I believed it was Algerian. (Philip Tom agreed with me). The silver decoration on the stock is done in a manner VERY similar to what you see on many Algerian long guns.
Before the auction, I also believed that both the lock and barrel were both European. The mechanicals of the lock are much better than the locally made Balkan style flintlocks. Even the threads on the screws are up to European snuff. Very high quality lock and functions perfect.
The barrel also looks to be of European manufacture with it's fluted area resembling Bresican barrels from the 17th Century. The barrel is 16.5" long and .54 caliber. The OAL of the pistol is 22.5" So it's a large example.

So in sum, I believe I have an Algerian pistol, assembled locally, using a high quality European (probably Italy) lock and barrel. Here are some pics of the finished gun. Photo heavy. What are others thoughts on the origin(s) of final assembly ? Thanks for viewing and any relies.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote