View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
The 'Bud' on my khanda which has had it's 'basket' removed is much too small to aid in gripping with the off hand, which as noted would be better off holding on to the shield.
This is a really intriguing example Wayne! but I see it as a talwar (that is an Indo-Persian hilt) rather than a khanda. While I know 'khanda' is a dialectic term for sword, just as talwar, in our parlance they have become distinctive to familiar hilt forms.

This seems to have had the blade tip rebated to more squared end, and seems shortened. The blade also seems to have the 'Indian ricasso' at the edge near hilt. Those decorative circled dots are also fascinating as they are often seen on weapon motif in Afghan and Northwest Indian regions.
I think what was likely removed was the knuckleguard, which seems to have been a somewhat known remedy for the larger hands on many Afghans.
Here again, the stem or extension is very much like a 'bud' and of course not remotely associated with a second hand grip (as you well note should be busy holding a shield).
Also as mentioned earlier, this may well be the 'dungarpuri' style hilt associated with Rajasthan but of course was found throughout these areas into northwest.

It would seem that weapons of course were captured or lost and retrieved and became used by other tribesmen who would have had them altered to suit their own requirements.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote