View Single Post
Old 21st October 2011, 04:24 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
... Fernando, how do you arrive at the 99.5% figure ?? ...
First of all Colin, i was referring to your "wandering if there are any forumites who have an interest in prehistoric weapons" and not at all to the provenance of your axe.
Secondly and naturaly my 99,5% quote doesn't arrive from any statistics calculation, being no more than a graphic expression meaning that, after what i have learnt, the chances to spot a fake pre-historic artifact in the general markets out there, are significantly higher than those of dealing with the authentic stuff.
I happen to be a fan of antiquity, but after i went through my first (and only) experience with a couple bronze axes that ended up being "authentic" knockoffs, i decided to re-date the starting of this theme to a "sine die" status.
If you have the time to go HERE you will read some interesting posts from members weaving considerations on such issue.
By the way, after some time i incidently ended up finding out the origin of my axes ... replicas cast with moulds made out of genuine specimens ... belonging to a self assumed owner.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote