View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
christek

Question FRENCH MODEL 1850 FOOT OFFICERS SWORD

Greetings all!

I believe I have here, a German Made French Model 1850 Foot Officer's Sword. This model of sword/sabre was also in use in the United States army until 1872. This sword was made by Samuel Hoppe in Solingen, Germany. The ricasso is marked on the right side; ‘S. Hoppe FI Solingen’ with the Hoppe beehive mark. The spine is marked Manuf re Nlle de Chatellerault. Blade is in very-good condition with a dark patina. I cannot see any with French proof marks. This example features a single-edged 77 cm blade with what looks like a false edge (never been sharp) extending back from the point. The blade is 2.6 cm in width at the hilt. There are two fullers, one broad and running from the ricasso to within 4 cm of the spear style point and a shorter narrow one from the hilt at the back of the blade. The grips are wire bound Bakelite that may have been once covered with fish skin? Although the wire is still there (may have been replaced). The pommel is of the “Phrygian helmet pattern” (need confirmation?) And is decorated along its forward border with oak leaves? The knuckle-bow is ribbed and pierced for a sword knot where it joins the pommel. As it turns upward toward the blade it expands to form an oval counter-guard, the reverse of which is plain, the obverse side decorated with a pierced floral design. All metal parts of the hilt appear to be brass. This example is missing the scabbard.

Can anyone confirm the model? Or help me with my enquiries? I am also puzzled by the marking FI (or perhaps FH) next to the maker’s name.

Kind regards,
Chris

P.S I apologise for the photos, they are not the best. Will upload better pics if needed.
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote