Thread: Omani khanjar
View Single Post
Old 27th October 2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Dear All,

Thank you for your answers.
I'm still learning about Omani khanjar and Arabian jambiya in general...
I took me a while to understand all the styles of koummiya and I try to do the same with khanjar now...to avoid mistakes...
I have one question about this one. It looks like beginning of 20th c.
Is it?

Regards,
Kubur

Salaams Kubur. Wrong end of the right century ... Its about around the 1990 form.. so a 20 to 30 year old I would say..What I find interesting is the simple play with geometry on the buttons ...in this case the geometric figure 5. Illustrating a religious configuration often associated with the hand of Fatima..sometimes seen in five finger form.. though in Oman nearly always geometrically drawn. Here the Khanjar is of the Baatinah Coast style with a lot of stitching below the belt whereas in other styles including the interior and UAE styles there is a lot of leather showing there...The hilt is interesting also..since it shows a lot of pins used in the overall pattern. See my thread on Omani Khanjars.

On the subject of the khanjar with which you disagree.. That is always your choice... I will just tell you what I know...having handled these for several decades (literally thousands of them) and if I thought it deserved a better write up .. I would give you it. It doesn't.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th October 2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: s
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote