Thread: Karabela???????
View Single Post
Old 26th January 2005, 02:53 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The karabela form hilt has long been established as a national style for centuries in Poland, and these are often present on important early parade sabres. Naturally the authentic sabres command incredible prices, and the Poles are inherently proud people, so I'm not surprised at the unfortunate results here.
This is as noted an Arabian saif, and similar examples are illustrated and discussed in "The Arms& Armour of Arabia" by Robert Elgood (pp.13-15) and an example of one from the 18th century is shown in "Les Armes Orientales" by Iaroslav Lebedynsky (p.14). It would seem that this form is typically of embossed silver hilt with the earlier examples having multilobate pommel and all characteristically have chain linking pommel and quillon. It is correct that these swords are found in the Yemen, particularly in Hadhramaut, according to Elgood (p.15), where he notes further that these were often mounted in Hyderabad in India, where warriors often served as mercenaries. The scabbards are distinguished by the throat locket which receives the langet, and hilt and scabbard motif is of embossed silver, with red silk or velvet backing.

The Polish association to the hilt form known as 'karabela' evolved from trade and political links to Persia in early 17th century, where the Poles were allied with them against the Ottomans. The Polish national pride is well placed in the brilliant cavalry for which they are famous, especially the legendary "Winged Hussars" which we have discussed on another thread.
I think this pride may be best described by the Polish author Prof. Andrzej Nadolski in his "Polish Arms-Side Arms" introduction (1974),when he notes his inspiration for his book, "...while filling these sheets with descriptions of various examples of side-arms, I kept thinking about a certain modest Polish sabre,'model 1921' which I have kept in view since my earliest childhood and which-like so many others-disappeared in the flames of September 1939".

Thus, even the simplest sabre is kept in highest esteem, which is the way it should be.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote