View Single Post
Old 8th October 2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Bjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
What is this "Pamor Atlas" anyway?

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I cannot find any explanations online, I've never seen it, I don't know anything about it.

How credible is it?
The Pamoratlas was published in 2006 by E.A.N. van Veenendaal and updated in 2011. It is a Dutch publication and has never been translated (to my knowledge). Some information from the book's introduction:

- Author became hooked on keris when his dad brought him one in 1951.
- Became a collector and was especially fascinated by pamor patterns.
- Spent 4 to 5 months in Southeast Asia every year for the 15 years prior to 2006.
- Visited museums, collectors, remaining empu, and other people with knowledge on the subject.
- Extends his thanks to Krt. Sukoyo Dipuro (Surabaya) and Bambang Harsrinuksmo (Jakarta) for their contributions.

The book classifies pamor patterns by category, e.g. leaf shapes, angular shapes, spherical, etc. Each entry contains a small amount of information on the pamor's meaning and attributes, whether it is mlumah, rekan and/or tiban and a small comparison to similar pamor patterns. These are accompanied by schematic drawings and/or photos.

As for its credibility, I hesitate to give a strong opinion on that as I feel my own knowledge on the subject is far from adequate. Personally, I find it useful to at least look up a name for a pattern I am unfamiliar with. As far as I can tell, the book does correctly classify patterns such as uler lulut, lar gansir, udan mas, etc. In other words, to my knowledge, the book generally ascribes the generally accepted name to the corresponding pamor pattern. It also includes local variations (Madurese, Balinese, East Javanese, etc. where known). As to the esoteric meanings of the patterns, I dare not venture to say how accurate the provided information is.

As for pamor semanggi: The book does not make any sort of distinction between new and old pamor patterns.
Considering its a very young pattern, could it be that it acquired a name in Bahasa Indonesia in order to appeal to more potential buyers?

Whatever the case may be, I do find it an attractive pattern. It's good to see new patterns can still be made in the modern era and that the keris is alive and well in today's Indonesia.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote