View Single Post
Old 12th April 2011, 09:44 AM   #11
ThePepperSkull

I've streamlined my collection to something very specific: Modern-made Philippine blades.

My reasoning behind it is that although there are many garbage blades out there in the modern market, there ARE still quality blades being made today that are worth looking for. Panday throughout the philippines still make honest working blades and even weapon/combat-balanced blades as well. Also, being that hand-forged pieces made in more rural areas take more work than stamped-out reproductions gives me a higher appreciation for the more traditional forms and the people who insist on making them locally and for locals in a modern day context.

Finding the diamond in the pile of glass involves me doing a lot of research, making connections, and coming up with ways with which to either acquire certain pieces, or inquire about where I can find the best ones. Half the fun in collecting is the hunt, and acquiring knowledge on the way sure doesn't hurt as well! And knowing I purchased a blade made recently makes me feel as if I am contributing, even a little bit, to keeping these traditional blademaking practices alive.

My favourites so far are two Moro pieces made in the early 90's. One is a Pira made by the Yakan, and the other is a Kampilan made by a Maranao smith who goes by the name of Toks. Currently my focus is on modern visayan blades, but I am also constantly on the lookout for a good quality modern-made (90's-now is how I define it for my collection personally) Moro Kris. Preferrably Sulu, but I will be happy with anything right about now if it is good quality, intended for locals and not the tourist trade, and is of modern make.

Aside from Newly-made philippine blades, my other obsession as of late in stark contrast is vintage cooking knives from various cultures. European butchers knifes in particular at the moment, since I am teaching myself how to properly butcher certain types of animal (pork specifically).
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote