View Single Post
Old 15th December 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
tunggulametung

Arrow Moro Kris Etching Attempt

I've cleaned this kris using the most traditional way I can imagine. Tools and ingredients are: lime juice, soil water, coconut husk, lerak fruit (sapindus rarak) and abu gosok (scrub ash). Before this I have gently use oil and soft sandpaper to remove thick rust and deep scrathes. I don't take off the hilt as I have limited knowledge with Moro kris and I'm affraid I will mess up with re-attachment. It left some dead rust but guess that's fine, at least for the momment.

I don't use detergent or baking soda, after I get the desired effect, I just scrub with lerak and abu gosok over and over and rise very very well and wipe with oil (I use modern multipurpose oil ).

Just want to share the result. I hope I'm doing right and get the closest traditional appearence possible.

I'm really a begginer with Moro kris and now I have below some questions regarding this piece:
  1. Does anybody ever seen/have similar moro kris that having grain/crystal-like effect similar to mine? I've found similar iron in older Indonesian keris (see attached sample), any comments?
  2. Does anybody seen similar roset-like stamp on the asang-asang? I've learned it is talismanic, but would this also suggest the region of origin?
  3. After reading Cato's book regarding the 'elephant mouth' shape, I believe it is Maranao by origin. I'm I right? Does the hilt also suggest the origin?
  4. The ganya seems to be relatively short, would you think it is normal or has been repaired? I like the kris they way it is, but just curious.
Thank you in advance for any comments.

Chandra
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote