View Single Post
Old 6th August 2005, 01:33 PM   #12
nechesh

Nice hilt Rick. Is that horn with the ivory or ebony? I wouldn't mind seeing some close-ups of your blade.
Mans, the pamor on your example is very intricate and interesting, but there isn't much chance of mistaking it for Balinese work. Both the dapur and the pamor don't seem right for a Balinese piece. Only the dress appears Balinese and even there they used the wrong mendak.
As i'm sure you know Rick, i don't really have a problem with Madurese perfecting Balinese type blades as long as they are not passed off as the real deal. The problem, of course, is that once they leave the smith there is little control as to how they will be presented to the collecting public. But clearly it is these Madurese smith and i believe a few in Jawa who are keeping the art alive. Sadly, it is doubtful that the very few empus that are left will be able to keep that level of keris making alive for very much longer.
I don't think this necessarily means an end to high quality keris making, but it may mean an end to the keris as a true cultural and spiritual object.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote