View Single Post
Old 13th September 2010, 12:53 AM   #22
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Haha no worries guys, I got addicted the moment I stumbled onto this forum five years ago. And like Lew said, I absolutely fell in love with the flyssa. It's been downhill since

Nathaniel, I really wouldn't mind dabling in dhas. I've got three so far and expect I'll snatch many more before all this is over. I'm 28 and got a ways to go I figure :Wink:
Sounds like my story too...close in age too...one of the best things getting done with grad school was 1. not having to study in the evenings & 2. Finally making some real money to be able to afford the cool toys...granted it's been a evolution...from modern reproductions ...but the quality was just not as good compared to real deal.

Dablings in dhas? nahhhh...just sell them to me to fund some more Flyssa

Quote:
Gavin, these very long blades are all very top-heavy. I can see the flyssa used in estoc in a cavalry charge and thrust, but the top weight of these blades requires some powerful arms to hold straight for any period of time. Insofar as their use for slashing goes, I haven't handled too many sabres and I'm not sure how they compare. The length feels a bit awkward...in contrast my Indian tulwars are very well balanced. Thie new monster I got has no balance whatsoever, the hilt is way too light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Similar to my thoughts: "Amazed at the long blades and just a one hand grip. Wicked thrusting point, and belly at towards the end to help accelerate the mass with slashing."
Quote:
The problem is we have no real source on how these were used. I've poured over lots of old French accounts from the 1830s onwards but none of them actually study the way Kabyles faught. One general suggests that these were used by cavalry and infantry alike, the latter using the wide belly of the blade to good effect when decapitating prisoners. A short cleaver type blade would be much better for decapitation though
Now if Kabyles faught on camel-back then the length of the flyssa would have considerable advantage, allowing riders to reach infantry below them. Unfortunately I don't think this is the case, especially since Kabylia is hilly and mountainous country.

On the ceremonial/presentation thought Gavin, I don't think it's the case with Kabyles. Unlike SEA kingdoms and polities, the Kabyles formed a fairly loose confederation of tribes and clans, each with their own elders. My understanding is that they were more practical and less formal, so the production of bearing swords or advertizing specimens is unlikely I think. The Iflissen tribe was already established as the armourer of the Kabyles, producing knives, swords and even guns. One venue for resolving this question is finding out the circumstances in which the French "captured" a flyssa in the Kabyle rebellion of 1871. That sword is at the Invalides in Paris and it's on my list to see next time I'm there. I hope there is some comment on whether this flyssa was taken during combat from a fighter or just removed from non-combating leaders/elders.
Glad to see you are also taking to the researching as well...my interest as well...it would be interesting too to hear some thoughts from other 'Flyssa Freaks' in regards to these questions

Until then we'll all look forward to further Flyssa, dha or new a bladed vices Emanuel

Last edited by Nathaniel; 13th September 2010 at 01:04 AM.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote