Thread: Talibon
View Single Post
Old 31st July 2014, 02:47 AM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirghosa
Partially correct. It is a Tenegre hilt (but not binangon) with a talibung blade.
However, talibung (i misspelled in the thread title) is also a general description of a fighting sword.
The "name game" is sometimes confusing. It will depend on from where this sword exactly coming.

For example this was written about a Visayan sword from my collection from Bangkaya who is in my eyes an expert which I miss at this place:

So what do we call your sword? Tenegre? Since you're not and Ilonggo or even from Panay (I assume) that would be a correct term and it does have a figural pommel. Binangon? Well it is a sword from Iloilo so that is correct, too. Talibong? It does have a clipped point so that is correct as well. Pinuti? The blade is slender enough so you can call it that, too. Sanduko? NO...this sword is not from Capiz and doesn't have any traits of a sanduko.

Look for this at this thread at post #4: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...frican+visayan

I think that we can call your sword by all three names; Tenegre, Binangon or Talibong. Just my humble opinion.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote