View Single Post
Old 5th November 2021, 08:10 PM   #24
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
We know the alleged provenence of this early sword, so with that we can presume the potential classification of groups it may have belonged to.
However attempting to classify this sword specifically by form alone seems it would be futile. Regardless, it is an outstanding sword reflecting the numerous influences I have suggested as possible factors.
Thanks for the detailed write up Jim summarizing your earlier points and finding the source you were referring to. Of course the sword we are discussing and these early medieval Byzantine and Islamic swords as a whole derive from a myriad of influences and steppes sabres have their part to play in that. However I think in the case of the two sabres I highlighted in my last post the influences may go a little bit the other way around. I think its important to not just focus on visual form but methods of construction and while I am certainly no expert in this field, rather simply an enthusiast, a typical steps guard of the type you illustrated is manufactured in rather a different manner than the castings used for the 'cuff' guards we are discussing. Certainly both can feature quite short 'arms' and have other similarities and of course features and elements of both blend over time but I think there are still some distinctions in place in the time frame we are discussing.

Rather I think steppes blade styles finding their way into fashion is as key as the guards, leading to the interesting piece under discussion. But that's just my two cents and I don't want to derail this thread into a long discussion on the entire history of the eastern and near eastern sword. Perhaps just to leave a small point that Byzantine interactions with heavy cavalry of the Sassanids and then their wars with various Islamic factions had a huge influence on their military as much as the Steppes incursions into Europe.

Suffice to say the area this was found in had a myriad of groups and influences and steppes sabres as well as Byzantine designs, which in turn borrowed from a wide variety of sources. For me its quite clear what Evgeny's sword is based on the images shown but of course nothing beats having it in the hand for a closer examination. I look forward very much to seeing it properly conserved!
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote