View Single Post
Old 21st November 2013, 08:12 PM   #30
A. G. Maisey

Peter, what I have outlined is quite straightforward from a Javanese point of view.

When one engages in any sort of transaction with a Javanese person one can rely on the fact that nothing will be as it might seem to be, and that nothing will be presented directly and openly, but rather it will be introduced at an angle, very often from behind and unexpectedly.

This is a general rule that applies in all transactions. To act in any other way is not the social norm. Gratuitous truth is avoided at all costs. Never, ever tell the truth if it can be avoided.

An example:-

Pak Wanda meets his next door neighbour walking along the road towards town.

"Good morning! What news?"
"Good Morning. I'm OK. Yourself?"
"I'm OK. Where are you going?"
"To the post office."
"OK, take it easy. See you later"

In fact Pak Wanda's neighbour was off to the market to buy some manggis.

Very uncool to be open, honest, and tell the truth.

This social norm comes across into all dealings with Javanese people, especially business dealings.

The general impression that a Javanese person seeks to create, most especially with any outsider is one of refined, non-committed warmth. They smile, they are complimentary, they are gentle and helpful. It is only when one is accepted as a part of a Javanese family and community that one comes to understand the true Javanese nature, which can be bad tempered, volatile and highly emotional. In fact, just like ordinary people anywhere, but it is very uncool to let the world see who you really are. You keep your true emotions hidden.

If one wishes to do business in Jawa, or get involved in any other way with Jawa, it is a very good idea to either spend an extended period of time in Jawa before spending any money or investing any emotion, or perhaps do a degree majoring in Javanese sociology.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote