View Single Post
Old 18th November 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

This keris may have been a carita keprabon once, but regrettably the degree of erosion is now too great to permit anybody to say with certainty what the dhapur may have been before it lost so much detail.

The classification of Pajang I cannot confirm from these photographs,the pawakan does resemble Pajang in some respects, but in my opinion insufficiently so to permit agreement with this classification. Additionally, I cannot see any pamor akhodiyat in the blade, which is one of the gold-seal tells for Pajang.

Possibly not a bad start to a collection but I'd be inclined to take the description provided in Indonesia with a large grain of salt.

Oh yes, the pamor.

Mlumah means "laying down" and is the usual type of pamor that is made, examples of mlumah pamor are wos wutah, ngulit semangko, udan mas. Its an easy type of pamor to make. Miring pamor means "sideways", and to make this you start with the mlumah pamor billet and then forge the grain so it is at 90 degrees to the core of the blade when put in place. Miring pamor is difficult and expensive to make, and is the type of pamor used in all the great motifs, such ron duru, adeg, ganggeng kanyut etc.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote