View Single Post
Old 26th January 2020, 06:30 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

There is a heap of stuff in this Forum on cleaning and restoration, I don't know where it is, but maybe David can point you in the right direction, or tell you how to find it.

Apart from that, as Jaga has commented, just a decent cleanup with detergent and a toothbrush can work wonders on a blade if it is not too dirty. I think I'd be trying this on the top keris with the Bugis-style hilt. This actually looks like a pretty decent blade.

The middle blade that is thick with red rust needs a vinegar soak, when you find the cleaning stuff I've mentioned it will explain how to do this. This blade is what we call a "robahan" = a changeling. It has been altered to create the pudak setegal spurs on its side.

The bottom blade is an old very ordinary Javanese blade, this might respond OK to just a dishwash cleanup too.

The top blade does not belong with that Bugis pistol grip type hilt, but it would go pretty nicely with heavily carved hilt that is under the very rusty blade.

The bottom blade has a correct hilt already fitted.

The top scabbard can probably be glued together, but really, none of these blades belong in it.

The other wrongko parts look too far gone to do anything with. Put them into the spare parts box until something comes along that you can use them with.

EDIT

I just noticed the link that Jaga put into his post. The recommendations in that will certainly help, but apart from that there's a lot of other stuff too.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote