View Single Post
Old 1st November 2008, 01:00 AM   #6
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
SOME SAY I HAVE A FERTILE IMAGINATION OTHERS SAY MY HEAD IS FULL OF S..T
Hi Vandoo,

A false dilemma I must say. There may not necessarily be a conflict between the two. ... the latter actually has qualities related to fertility

That sir is a joke of course! I always enjoy reading your posts in fact; and I always learn and get encouraged from doing so. So thanks indeed for the comments above and elsewhere.

In all seriousness, I agree with your conjecture that things may have developed spontaneously.

After Nonoy started this topic, I again turned to Herbert Krieger's 1926 study of Philippine "primitive" weapons:
"No difference existed originally between implements and weapons. The digging stick is also the first weapon form. A heavy stick is also a club. A club with a knob becomes a still more effective weapon when sharpened to an edge on one of the surfaces, thus becoming an ax. Point and stick and it becomes a spear for combat at a distance. If the stick is short it becomes a dagger suitable for defensive and offensive use at close quarters. Flatten the stick and prolong its sharpened edge to full length of the stick and it becomes a sword. A short flat stick with sharpened lateral edge becomes a knife. If the stick with bulbous end is edged transversely to its longitudinal axis, the ax becomes a hoe. The stick which has acquired a knife-blade edge is also a useful household implement. The same quality of use applies to objects of stone and to the metals, such as copper and iron. Among primitive peoples sharp-edged iron knives used in the household, in hunting and in the handicrafts are also weapons of combat."
So Professor Vandoo, I think you are right on the money!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote