View Single Post
Old 1st February 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think PClemente's observations may be quite well placed, and that Berkeley is right in this being most likely a 'Khyber' produced interpretation of these early flintlocks. In these rugged regions of the Northwest Frontier, much as in many remote colonial regions, the flintlock remained in favor as it was far easier to keep them servicable and supplied than trying to find percussion caps and or cartridges.

While these reproduced examples of British firearms have been made in these regions into present times, I am inclined to think this is an earlier product which is quite likely of 19th century as the MOP motif is consistant with similar on some camel guns (jezails) of possible mid to latter 19th century. The rampant lion EIC logo did not begin use until around 1808 and not in degree until the 1820s in my understanding. The date stamp is however consistant with location of those of the period, though as noted the irregular arrangement of the numbers is revealing. In 1806 prevalent makers were Leigh and Barnett, and these used the EIC balemark with flaunched heart, the '4' and VEIC initials.

Very nice example with good potential if close examination supports the period estimate, but visually and 'by the numbers' looks good for an earlier Khyber product. I would base that on closer adherence to the locks present in the region on those earlier times and during transition.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote