View Single Post
Old 4th March 2009, 06:40 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
The reason I was suggesting dress sabre was simply due to the nature of the hilt components. Ivory and silver would tend to add to the fragility of the hilt, and seem to defer from combat choice. However, that is not to say an officer would not take it on campaign, as it is certainly still effective as a weapon, regardless of being more highly prone to damage.
Officers as previously mentioned, were highly inclined to flamboyance, so I suppose how to properly classify this sabre would be subjective.

The stamped marking in the hilt I would consider a hallmark, as typically hilts were not marked by makers, and virtually all silverwork items required being hallmarked. The exception I can think of pertaining to makers stamping names into hilts, ironically was on a brass lionhead, ivory grip and gadrooned example quite similar to this. In cartouche on the hilt in somewhat similar location was the name READ. This was John Read, Birmingham from what I can recall (its been quite a few years). The blade was the straight, long cavalry blade of c.1770's.
I really look forward to what the silver experts will say. The great thing about hallmarks is they were so stringently regulated and catalogued. The title by Leslie Southwick may have those pertaining to weapon makers, but I cant recall.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th March 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote