View Single Post
Old 6th September 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
BluErf

I second the mouse theory. At any rate, in some Malay areas, when they see such damage, esp fresh damage, they won't say that the mouse did it. Rather, they'd say "Cik Siti ada keraja", literally, "Miss Siti did some work". Miss Siti is of course not a real person, but in reference to the mouse. The belief was that if you said the mouse did some work, they'd come back again to do more work.

Regarding the keris, to me, I'd classify this as a Sulawesi keris. Nice blade indeed, and even nicer hilt! Very voluptuous. The sheath is great too; I like the grain on the wood.

I dont' think there is any specific Bugis areas that prefers a particular pamor, though I'd say pamor uler lurut is one of the common uncommon pamor (ok, don't know if I make sense ). That means the vast majority of Bugis kerises have the kulit semangka pamor, usually combined with ujung gunung. The rest would have the more uncommon pamor such as raja abala raja, uler lurut, sader saleh, lintah kemukus, and others. So these are the uncommon pamor, and uler lurut is the more common ones amongst this category of uncommon pamors, based on my own personal observation, of course.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote