View Single Post
Old 20th January 2014, 01:29 PM   #210
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasanna Weerakkody
Ariel, The Ethuna kadu (Rolled up Sword) is not a mainstream weapon and is only still practiced by very few Angam martial artists in Sri Lanka. old examples of weapons seem virtually non-existent though some Angam schools still train with them. The person in the picture is Angam master Ajantha Mahantharachchi a friend of mine and among the few who are quite skilled at the use of the weapon in Sri Lanka. the movements seem more rotational than shown in the posted video clip and is effective in clearing a path 5-6 m. wide.

Vandoo- The link to Lions in Sinhala (Sinha=Lion - Sinhala literally means Lion people) goes back at least to two and a half millennia where the story links the ancestry of the Sinhala race to a Lion. it is not a recent acquisition. If you may note the Sri Lankan National flag is of a Lion carrying a Sword in hand. (not a Kasthana though )

Gustav, Thanks for the Images of the Hasekura Kasthane, It anyway seem quite a mixed up piece as even the guards and the ivory hilt seem to have different origins. to my knowledge the hilt seem to be of a later date stylistically and of a rather more crude craftsmanship. The blade obviously does not comply with Sinhala traditional design of Kasthana.

Salaams Prasanna Weerakkody ~ Your comments are both astute and very welcomed. The apparent presentation Kastane to the Japanese delegation may therefor be a reworked sword altogether and could even be a Storta with the addition of a Kastane hand and crossguard. See my post at #189 where there is a similar blade and hilt on two different exhibits in the same picture both which seem to be Storta. I note however that there is an interesting creature cut into the blade close to the point which may be mythical and Sri Lankan. The item may therefor be a hybrid; Something of mixed origin or composition.

Comparison of the Popham artwork and a non original Kastane would therefor seem premature, however, can you please access the earliest museum Kastane in Sri Lanka so that a more accurate assessment can be made?

I note your inclusion of your National Flag; From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sri_Lanka Quote"It was adopted in 1950 following the recommendations of a committee appointed by the 1st Prime Minister of Ceylon, The Rt Hon D.S. Senanayake."Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 20th January 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote