View Single Post
Old 11th July 2016, 12:47 PM   #13
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Rick, thanks for your input, I did not see this one until the very last minute so I did not have much time to do any research. Needless to say, searching for "Persian" rifle, musket, matchlock, flintlock, percussion etc did not bring up many images. The round butt made me wonder if it was Persian but then I thought that there was no way they could mis-discribe it so badly.

Both of your examples are awesome, and quite rare, thanks for showing them.

I would like to at least have the stock repaired, any suggestions? I do not know of anyone were I live (Louisiana) who works on antique guns.
Yes, the break in the forearm would be worth repairing. And the lock may need some work while at it. My gunsmith would be great for this, but he is down with medical issues at the moment. And lives in New Hampshire. But Louisiana is a popular state for muzzle loading shooters, and I should be able to locate someone for you. I'll PM you after I check my sources.
I still agree with Oliver that your gun is Persian. That it was made as a percussion, likely dates the gun post 1850. The more Europen style trigger and guard show just a bit of Western influence. A very interesting gun and worth a repair.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote