View Single Post
Old 4th September 2014, 12:34 AM   #15
Shakethetrees

I always feel that using the best is best, unless you might be placing you and it in a situation where something with sentimental value is taken.

Going camping or hunting? Find a well made knife and buy it not it go to the hardware store and grab the nearest piece of a Chinese garbage.

Today we can find, with a few keystrokes, a forum discussing almost anything. If you may need to get something your life could depend on do the research. I would no more take what I know is a great quality knife from my collection and drag it through the woods/water/desert! Great knives are available, but at a cost, as we all know.

One thing I carried was a German made Hubertus switchblade given to me by my Father when he went back there in the early 1990's for a reunion. It's of a small sentimental value, I'd be sick if I lost it, but I know it's of great quality and will do the job it was made for. I do t have to give it the oak plank test to have complete faith in it. The fit and finish is obviously superior to a lot of what's out there. This only works if you truly know knives and not impresses with generally shines things. You must understand how knives are made and what it takes to develop a high degree of finish and mechanical fit.

However, I would not carry his M-3 he carried in WWII, although it is well made, can do the job it was designed for, etc. too much historic/sentimental value here.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote