View Single Post
Old 29th October 2006, 07:29 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Philip
Obrigado pela sua mensagem.
I have managed to gather a couple random old firearms, but i am a very light weight collector, without a minimum background.
I may however sugest that books or images of Portuguese weapons covering such period are scarce, such as the weapons themselves (except for artillery ).
Even in Portuguese museums you don't find so many of them ... you would quicker find them in private collections out there .
I wouldn't know of any publications on this Indo-Portuguese matchlock theme, except for ESPINGARDA FEITICEIRA. I guess that the author only
mentioned and showed pictures of determined examples, as he wanted to tipify their basic evolution, according to the scheme he has built up.
This guy would be the first to have most possible important variations, among his 5000 pieces arms collection.
Maybe the examples you recently heard about, don't define basic variants, other than "Indo Portuguese" or "Cingalo Portuguese" influenced, the two main sources where this system spread from ... but you shouldn't take me seriously.
A bit off topic, i have scanned a page of Bulletin of Antique Arms Society, from which Rainer Daehnhardt is President, with pictures of a Cingalo Portuguese specimen.
I will try and find some other authors or images in this Indo Portuguese matchlock subject, and will surely let you know.
Kind regards
fernando
ps
I am trying to tame my scanner.
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 29th October 2006 at 08:50 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote