View Single Post
Old 29th August 2010, 01:40 AM   #10
Ron Anderson

Hello everyone

Thanks for your comments. I'm in Australia so there is a time lag between us, which is why I'm only responding now.

David, thanks for fixing those pictures. I have a new camera and will need to work out how to created smaller files.

I think it's 19th century, partly because a knowledgeable friend pointed me in that direction. There is a definite age to the piece. It looks like a fantasy knife, but in fact is not your garden variety fantasy knife at all.

The odd thing is, I've seen this type of knife twice within the last year. The first time it was one of a large number of very high quality edged weapons on auction. I dismissed it as a fantasy knife (as did the auction house 'experts') but my friend identified it as something kind of special.

The very same knife appeared at an antique market where the dealer was selling it for next to nothing, believing it to be a modern fantasy knife. Foolishly I didn't buy it immediately and when I returned to buy it after drawing money it had been sold.

This particular knife I found at an arms fair. It was sold to me by a custom knife maker who found it in a junk shop. It is almost identical to the first knife I'd seen but in better condition.

The fact that I've seen two here in Sydney within the last year led me to believe it might be not all that uncommon. However, I suspect it is actually very uncommon and the fact that I've encountered it twice in a short time frame is just a bizarre coincidence.

I think it's French because it just has that look. I think there've been similar figural pieces displayed in past threads here.

The blade looks distinctly 19th century to me. I've seen similar blades on other ornate 19th century daggers. But there are no markings at all.

Anyway, it is really an interesting piece. I'm delighted to have found it.

I haven't ruled out the possibility that it belonged to some form of fraternal or secret society.

Would be very keen to here from anybody else who might have some insight into it.

Regards
Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote