View Single Post
Old 21st November 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
jwkiernan

Alan and Jean thank you so much for your input! Thank you Sajen as well...looking forward to seeing your keris.

I'd like to do as little as possible to these (and the others I will post in the coming days) as long as I can prevent further corrosion/erosion of the blades. Alan, years ago I posted a photo of a donoriko hilted keris and I remembered the baby oil suggestion...the first thing I did after receiving this lot was to hit the ivory with baby oil...I didn't realize the second one had a horn hilt until closer examination so it was lemon oiled initially)...I do lemon oil all the wood.

I do not see any evidence of the second blade having ever been stained (to my knowledge...which is growing thanks to ya'll).

I think I may try a good long soak in WD 40 (can't hurt anyway) to start. I do not have any experience with suing acid for this...I think I'll stick with the less evasive...Alan, what about the EvapoRust you posted about? Thanks again for all the info and advice...it is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,

John
jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote