View Single Post
Old 4th November 2017, 12:47 PM   #5
theswordcollector

Smile tabarzin

Hi thank you for taking your time to respond to my post. The history of the tabarzin is quite interesting along with the different variations that were produced. I only wish I could read what is etched on the the axe head on both sides if it , if it is Persian or Farsi. This is my first Persian piece. I can see how after having acquired this tabarzin it can lead to quite an addictive collecting habit in the future. Cheers and thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
In addition~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_axe

~Describes the Persian axe as Quote"The tabarzin (Persian: تبرزین‎‎, lit. "saddle axe" or "saddle hatchet") is the traditional battle axe of Persia. It bears one or two crescent-shaped blades. The long form of the tabar was about seven feet long, while a shorter version was about three feet long. What made the Persian axe unique is the very thin handle, which is very light and always metallic. The tabar became one of the main weapons throughout the Middle East, and was always carried at a soldier's waist not only in Persia but Egypt, and the Arab world from the time of the Crusades. Mamluk bodyguards were known as tabardiyya after the weapon. The tabarzin is sometimes carried as a symbolic weapon by wandering dervishes (Muslim ascetic worshippers)."Unquote.
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote