View Single Post
Old 18th October 2015, 05:11 PM   #31
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Thank you for your interest. This piece is sewn with sinew, but supplies of thread sinew can be found on the internet. The stone takes some skill to make. How much time does it take to do this? How much money does a faker , fantasy reproduction artist want from thier efforts?
It's an interesting item for sure Tim. One possibility doesn't really seem to be considered here. Sometimes hobbyists create pieces like this purely for their own enjoyment. A am currently working on my own battle axe right now. Forged the head from a railway spike. So it may not necessarily be a matter of how much effort a faker might be willing to put into such a piece for the effort. I have put many hours of work into my axe and shed a bit of blood over it besides. It's about the love and accomplishment of making the thing, not any money since it is not for sale. But years down the line when some one finds it in my estate sale...???
Of course my axe isn't being made to appear to be from any one culture so it probably won't fool anyone. But lots of folks make such things as close to original specs as they can just to show they can still do it.

Last edited by David; 19th October 2015 at 04:42 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote