View Single Post
Old 19th August 2015, 08:26 PM   #4
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I'm having a hard time thinking of what a M1902 is, and keep thinking of the monstrous Patton swords

the info he posted was indeed interesting, as was the ref. site. as he notes, the m1902 sabre was a parade only item, not a combat weapon like the patton 'sabre' which was really just a short lance. i see the scabbard rings are quite close together on those with 2 and they really only need one if the sword is carried on a saddle rather that the man.

the m1902 had/has a very slender blade, and like the current USN equivalent*, would not stand up to actual combat, being made of brittle stainless. 'Cold Steel' makes one in 1050 HC steel, but it's the slender 3/4 in. 'issue' model which, even if sharp would be a poor weapon compared with the earlier 19c models. no more teddys charging up san juan hill...

*- the 1852 navy sword was 1 9/64 in. wide. the 1931 version, 3/4", current model is 5/8". i have a 3/4in. high carbon steel one myself...i imagine the army degraded theirs similarly.

the M1902, note the distinctive finger grooves: ( i have no desire to own one, as it's really only a big boy's toy. the hanger is cool tho )
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 19th August 2015 at 09:11 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote