View Single Post
Old 11th May 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gene,
I cannot resist completely agreeing with everyone, this is a beautiful hilt, and though far from being a metallurgist, it surely seems silver to me! It seems to me that silver was not typical in Indian hilts, though obviously there were likely exceptions. Also, the 'chevron' pattern on the grip to me recalls many Indian blades, often on tulwars, made in alternating light and dark colored metal. These were highly symbolic and apparantly represented the two most important rivers in many perceptions in India; the Ganges (light) and the Yamuni (dark). These chevron pattern blade swords were termed 'ganga-yamuni' (Pant. p.96, fig. LXXXVII).

These appear to have been from Rajasthan regions as early as mid 18th century, but most known appear later in the 19th. With this hilt in silver, with the unusual grip motif, and with conspicuous absence of floral or the often seen other motif, especially on the pommel disc, I am wondering if this might be a latter 19th century example somehow connected to the British Raj, as it appears a hilt form more common to 'court' type swords of the Northwest.
Perhaps the somewhat well known tulwars with chevron blades (some of these parade swords of the 'tears of the wounded' style) may have had influence on a weapon intended for such use.

Very nice!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote